Tuesday, June 24, 2008

RISD III Fall

Over the summer, I took a break from art, after being so burned out from the year before, and worked in the Residence Life Office dealing mostly with the RISD Pre-College Program.

So I did an ISP with Mary Jane Begin (http://www.maryjanebegin.com/) where I wanted to do some cover illustrations for some books I loved when I was a kid. I'll post both the finished black and white sketches and then my attempts at doing color versions... although they didn't scan that well.

Here are some of the preliminary sketches. You'll notice that things were either flopped to read left to right, or characters ended up being omitted. Or in this case of the Greenwitch cover, I didn't get to it in the final stage (although I still intend to).

First, I did a cover for the Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman. Lee Scoresby's hat and the profile of Lyra's face gave me fits:Then I did one for Susan Cooper's Over Sea, Under Stone. Part of the Dark is Rising series. This one I banged out pretty quickly.Then I did a cover for Ursula K. Le Guin's Tombs of Atuan, part of the Earthsea series:I also did a quick Snow Queen interior piece for the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.
I also TA'd a sophomore drawing class for Fritz. I had a lot of fun doing it. While we were criting or in between helping the various students, I'd do my own sketching.

No comments: